This web exhibit is based on an exhibit currently installed in the Parsons-Gates Hall of Administration at Caltech.
You can learn more about the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering that occupied the Gates Laboratory of Chemistry in our companion exhibit, “Building a Chemistry Division.”
As we wrote this exhibit, we consulted the following sources, from which you can learn more about Gates and Caltech history:
- Judith R. Goodstein, Millikan’s School: A History of the California Institute of Technology (New York: Norton, 1991).
- Romy Wyllie, Caltech’s Architectural Heritage: From Spanish Tile to Modern Stone (Los Angeles: Balcony, 2000).
- Throop College Bulletin 25, no. 71 (April 1916).
- Caltech Archives Oral History Project.
- James A.B. Scherer Papers, Caltech Archives.